Spiderwort … Macro with the Fuji X100
Spiderwort or Tradescantia ISO 200, f/5.6, 1/80 sec.
ISO 200, f/3.2, 1/150 sec.
As a follow-up to my last post where I took a look at the Fuji X100 images to see how well I could crop-zoom, today I took a look at how well it worked as a macro lens. The Fuji has some macro capability which I then augmented with crop-zooming. The first picture above uses just the macro setting of the camera and the second picture (different picture) was created by using the macro setting and then crop zooming to get a look at the image quality. The first picture has more depth of field at f/5.6. The second picture has less depth of field at f/3.2 and the focus point was as close to the tips of the stamen as I could get it using the auto focus of the camera while hand holding it.
Recently I have considered getting a macro lens for the Pentax K-5, but before I ordered one it dawned on me to see what I could do with the Fuji X100. As you can see in the above pictures, it does a fair job of getting in close. I think I’ll hold off on getting a macro lens.
I guess the above pictures are good enough to tell by the color of the stamen hairs that our background ionizing radiation level isn’t high. If you are wondering why I said that, learn a little about Spiderwort by clicking here.
As a beginner, I would have to say the combination of using the camera’s macro setting and ability to crop to augment the subject has really eliminated MY need for a separate macro lens all together.